Friday, June 18, 2010

We traveled all that was left of the day and most of the night, arriving on my campanion's land just before the sun set and he didn't stop until we reached a clearing in woods near his house. There I got off him and took out the spell book. After the recitation he stared at himself a moment before turning with a whoop and running off. "My Lord!" I exclaimed loud enough to get his attention before he left the clearing. "I will remind you not to concieve a child this night. Humans are known to be low on self control. I warn you: you do not want to raise a child half horse, half human in any combination. Or more accurately, have your wife raise such a child concieved while you were still gone. Be back here by first light with your son and his wife. It would also be wise to bring steady horses with them as we have much land to cover but a horse that does not spook at the creatures we will encounter is more welcome than one with speed. Speed does no one any good in the Great Forest, only manners can prevent disaster." With a nod he ran off in the clothes he had been turned in but in a slightly more somber mood. He had been given a reprive but the consiquences were still great if he forgot he was still cursed. May the stars help him if he forgets.
However, that was not my concern at the moment. I had been awake for nearly thirty-four hours as I could not sleep during the day. The sun was a poor substitute for my calming stars. I found a cave just within the land few humans dared cross and settled for a nice night's rest where I could still see the stars.
"Ah, I had hoped I would see you this night, My Lord. Would you like me to recite the spell that will put you in human form? However, I should tell you the risks involved." I continued to tell him what I had told his uncle, adding a caution against repeating the spell to others as mispronounciation could have horrible consiquences. He agreed with a nod of his head and I transformed him back into a human for a few hours. It could have been a lovely night. We talked for nearly two hours before sleep pulled me deeper. Unfortunately, he spent the whole time telling me to quit my fool's errand and let someone else do it or to at least return to the palace to get a bigger group of companions. I had hoped to have his support, in fact I had hoped he would be proud of me doing what the stars led me to do. Instead he wanted me to be a timid human...Needless to say, I spent the whole time standing my ground and refusing to return to the palace. It was not a fun time nor what I had hoped to do for two hours alone with him with no prying eyes but obviously any type of personal conversation was not an option when all he wanted to do was argue. Oh well, it's not like this trip was about him. He wasn't the only person stuck in those pastures where humans should fear to tread.

No comments:

Post a Comment