Thursday, June 17, 2010

The journey begins

Looking over my shoulder, I pulled the cloak I wore a little tighter around my neck and stepped out the kitchen entrance. It was the servant's entrance and I should have used the main doors, just as I'm supposed to use the main gate to leave the city, what with being the king's ward and all. However, such troublesome methods would certainly be noticed tonight, especailly as the prince had disappeared the night before. With theory going about that the prince had been dragged off through lax security, all the gaurds were being extra vigilant, a lot of good that does them against magic or secret entrances. However, it makes them feel better so I suppose that is something. However, my object was the stable, at the moment, and I scurried across the courtyard, my nondiscript gray cloak blending with the shadows. Once there, I hurried to the stall of honor that held the supposed unicorn. Speaking softly enough to not desturb the other horses or stablemen but loud enough for him to hear, I started to speak as I approached. "Shh, M'lord, relax. I mean you no harm. I am sure you have heard the connotion in the castle, that your nephew disappeared from his room last night. He was taken as you were not too long ago, as many people have been. He is in the pastures with the others and I know how to get there. The stars ask that you take me there. I know the way and there will be some side stops. However, we are to take your son and his new bride. They lost their barely concieved child last night and your son is the next in line to become a fake unicorn. Now, there are some benefits for you in this journey. Not only will you have your son moving so he won't be found as easily but I found the spell you were turned with. I can improvise your spell so that not only does your horn disappear, but you can also be in human shape when the stars are out. When the sun rises or the clouds hide the stars you will be in horse form. If you agree to come with me I will not turn you human tonight as I need speed to get from here before your brother searchs for me but when we near you house I will turn you human. Still, there is one thing to keep in mind. Any child you concieve while cursed could be part horse, either in looks or in mind. Have we a deal? Will you come with me willingly to see if we can set the kingdom free of this foe, see if we can return all the fake unicorns to humans again? Oh yes, there is a way to do that, I am just not certain I could manage it. To be free of your curse, the one who said the words must die. With him dies the curse. My spells are easily reversible as I am no sorceress but his curses are linked to his life force. As long as he lives all those turned by him will remain turned. Have we a deal? Good. Now, once we leave the stables we will have to go through the garden to the secret garden your great-grandfather made his wife for their fifth wedding anniversary. There is a gardener's door there, it leads inside the city wall until it ends just before the last turn near the back gate. The tunnel will be tight but will not last long. Once there we will go through the woods a distance before travelling along the main road to your land. near mid-meal we will likely rest as it will draw attention to have travelers on the roads then. Here let me rid you of that horn. It will certainly give us away if anyone passes us." Stopping before we left the stable, I openned the bag I had hidden in my cloak and pulled out the ancient book I had borrowed from my gaurdian. Flipping to the page, I recited the spell and the white horn fell to the floor in glittering dust. That done we left the stableyard and travelled through the garden now filled with weeds and entered the tunnel through the rusted door. It wasn't long before we passed a safe distance through the woods and I was looking down the main road at the city and the palace high above the road. It would be many months before I saw it again, if I ever did. "Well, M'lord, it was nice while it lasted but something tells me that if I ever return to that city, it will not be as your brother's ward. This journey will change all our lives as well as the lives of so many on our island. I only hope we are all changed for the better. Yes, you're right. It is time to stop looking back and begin our journey," I finished turning the man/horse around. With one final look at the place that had been my shelter for so many months I turned fully forward and focused on the journey ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment