Thursday, May 27, 2010

Civilizing Begins

   I awoke to the frantic talking of a young female. I couldn’t understand her rushed accent but she seemed to be explaining something in panic and she was in the room I’d been given. Climbing out of the bed I’d made myself, I adjusted the clothes that had moved to cover less than they should over the night before entering the room through the curtained doorway. Inside I saw the girl I assumed was my maid frantically explaining something to my male visitor from the night before and an older lady. Since my maid had her back to the door I’d entered through, the male was the first to notice me.
   “Enough, she is fine,” he stated with a slight smile, his eyes still on me. “M’lady, lovely to see you this morning. I trust you slept well. I take it that you took the blankets and slept on the porch?  Unusual but it may be what you are used to. This is Lady Demton. She will be showing you how to survive in society. I wish you luck, good day.”
   “I can see I am just in time. Now girl, you must never NEVER again sleep outside! No civilized female would dare sleep outside..” the lady started as the man walked to the door.
   “Madam, loathe as I am to interrupt, I disagree. She is used to sleeping outside. I see no problem that could come of her sleeping on her porch in her own room, as long as she stays low and is not seen indecently clothed by anyone below. We will need her wide awake for training. If she is not comfortable in a bed, perhaps we can find her a cushion that will fit on her balcony.”
   “Of course, Sir. It shall be done,” she replied submissively before he left. As soon as the door closed, she turned to me and I saw by her expression that she did not like being contradicted. “Now, let us begin. I can see I will have my work cut out for me if we are to take the savage out of you in a few months, heathen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment